Southwest has non-stop flights to Colorado (with free checked ski gear) for an all time low of $178 Round-Trip. While not quite as cheap as the $157 on United a few months back, free ski bags is big, AND these trips get you there at the end of February for dramatically better conditions than we saw in Colorado early season this year.
PLUS 50% off at the Hilton Doubletree in Breckenridge (from HotWire) OR Copper Mountain has 52% off Lift Tickets on Liftopia w/ 40% off Keystone Village Condos still available (scroll down).
NY/NJ to Colorado generally runs $325+ with checked bags — these cheap ski flights save you 45% and get you there Non-Stop on Southwest Airlines.
While we have seen some solid Colorado deals out of JFK both Newark and LGA have largely been on the back burner. Given that this one takes off from La Guardia the accessibility is that much better. The snow is better of late too!
Book Flights with Southwest
Per usual, Southwest doesn't let us create links directly to each set of possible flights, or even link to a calendar page for a specific city combination. Their flexible flight calendar is great BUT you guys will have to manually enter the Airports and Months when you get there to book this deal.
- Hit Southwest's Flexible Fare Calendar
- Enter 'LGA' as your Departure Airport then Enter 'DEN' as your Destination.
- Select your Months. The cheapest ski flight availability departs End of February, returning in March.
- Hit search and then select your dates from the Calendar to book your flight.
- If you have Southwest miles use them! This deal can make use of those miles to save more for the next trip.
Here's what the price Calendar looked like (LGA to DEN) when I was writing this one up:
The best dates are either $89 each way or $97 each way and are generally clustered around the end of February early March. I personally like the following:
- $178 Round-Trip (Feb 25 - Mar 1) w/40% off 3 Day Copper Mountain Lift Tickets - 50% Off Hilton Doubletree and Others at Breck (HotWire
- $186 Round-Trip (Feb 27 - Mar 6) w/52% off Copper Mountain 6 Day Lift Tickets - 40% Off Keystone Condos on HotWire
Copper vs Breck vs Keystone
So really you have three main options to save on your lift tickets and Hotel. Generally Copper Mountain has the cheapest lift ticket options, you can see the full calendar here.
That said Breckenridge and Keystone are much cheaper on lodging... MUCH cheaper. The Hilton Doubletree in Breckenridge is particularly cheap on HotWire. While half the fun of Breck is getting there and just walking everywhere for the week, I could see making the drive (30 minutes or so) to Copper (or even A-Basin) to save 50%+ on Lift Tickets if things are tight.
To figure out which hotel a HotRate deal (hidden name) is on HotWire search the page for the number of reviews and match it to the UN-HIDDEN entry for the same hotel.
Southwest Search Tips
- Southwest flight prices usually scale incrementally as they sell down seats. If you see the above flights go up that means get on your game and buy quick.
- Southwest counts one pair of skis (or snowboard), and one pair of boots as a single checked bag. If you some how end up bringing a truck load of gear make sure you tell them at the counter (request help if you are at a Kiosk!) it may save you going over the "Free Checked Bag" limit which is 2 pieces.
- Given the fact that Southwest needs to be manually searched by each customer, a lot of times the cheapest options will be starting in one month returning in another month (since most SW users don't always check that combination)